At the CCI GENEALOGY STATION , our expert genealogists help patrons trace their Sicilian and Italian immigrant roots back to their earliest origins in ‘the old country’, in a variety of ways:
- deciphering ‘Americanized’ given names and surnames to determine how ancestors’ names were originally recorded;
- locating U. S. and state censuses that give information on immigrants and their children’s birth years, residences, occupations and immigration and naturalization status;
- finding naturalization (‘citizenship’) papers;
- locating ships manifests that identify ancestors’ ancestral villages;
- locating, reproducing, translating and interpreting civil and church records of birth, baptism, marriage and death for the immigrants families, working back successive generations to ‘build’ a pedigree (family tree), possibly reaching back as early as the 16th century.
- Genealogy Station staff use the latest on-line repositories of Sicilian and Italian records, which patrons will learn how to access on line at the Station, as well as how to access many records at home.
The CCI GENEALOGY STATION is a FamilySearch Affiliate Library. Our genealogy services are free.